Monday, July 28, 2008

Crazy Hong Kong

Couldn't find the inspiration to write for the past few days...have been trying to catch up on my readings and have been quite occupied with thoughts regarding my studies that would probably bore most of you to death. Well, I have finally gotten ahead with my readings over the weekend. Yippee!

The weather was crazy in Hong Kong yesterday. It was almost 34 degrees, then the thunder storms came with winds so strong that it blew a woman diver off her boat in Sai Kung and she got drowned. Also in Fan Ling, hails were reported! Goodness, I sure hope that it will not get any crazier than that! Over in Kowloon where I am staying, it was all calm except that the sky turned suddenly really cloudy at around 2pm yesterday. My colleagues who stay in the New Territories were saying that the thunder storm was quite loud and scary.

Also, today in the news, Nestle workers are out on strike following Vitasoy and Watsons Water, they are asking for 7% increment in pay and 6% increment in commissions. I think they will get their way...the workers at Vitasoy and Watsons Water got their increments after they went on strikes. So after Nestle, who's next?

And the doctors are getting really busy these days as people are getting sick due to the crazy temperature gaps in Hong Kong. Outside in the sun, temperature can rise up to 39 or 40 degrees but indoors at the shopping centers or inside subways, the aircon is set at around 23~24 degrees. So imagine walking in the sun for about 5~10 minutes and then going indoors, your body will be subjected to a temperature difference of up to 17 degrees! No wonder I am getting many sick leaves from my staff...

No comments: