Monday, July 21, 2008

Lunchtime Topic - Miss HK 2008

Today's discussion topic over lunch with my department was on the results of the Miss Hong Kong 2008 held over the weekend. The attendants consisted 2 gals and 2 guys including myself. Both the guys were very disappointed with the results, especially the winner whom they thought really do not deserve to win at all. The other gal in the group confessed that she didn't watch the whole event as she thought it was really poor quality this year, so she played with her son instead. I, on the other hand, had no son to play with, so I watched the whole event while reading my notes and had thought that it was really entertaining. I thought it was entertaining not because I thought the quality of the show or the girls were good but I am just amazed at how hard these girls try to present themselves on stage even though they are being treated like puppets and props. The girls were made up to look like some hardrock bar-top dancers, peacocks, babydolls, beach babes and lastly they had to wear the Chinese Qipao with shoulder-pads so big, it looked like some costumes from Star Wars, now aren't that entertaining? I really admire their courage to pursue their dreams despite it all.

The guys thought that they are just bimbos but I think bimbos or not, these girls are merely trying to pursue their dreams and I think they are better than many bimbos out there who may not even know what they want in life. I think people who have no dream, no goal, no purpose in life are more pathetic. This yearly event is the expressway to stardom for many Hong Kong girls without which they will be just another nobody in this crowded city. Without this beauty pageant, the gossip columns will have 1 event less to write about! We, the normal working class people will have 1 topic less to discuss over lunch. And all the eligible bachelors and rich men will have less "stocks" to choose from!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh well, that was an interesting take on Miss UK. Surprisingly, most candidates of Miss Universe come academically qualified with degrees and all. But somehow, walking around in bikinis just doesn't really come across as intelligent does it?

Perhaps they should have a 'Weakest Link' sort of program for them. lol...

waitingkitty said...

In HK I think the standard is not that high yet...most of them are still students from dunno which University and the rest are either models wannabes, stewardess, or I also dunno what. The standards are getting lower and lower these days...