Friday, July 18, 2008

My work

Went to an executive reception held by LogLogic last night at the Four Seasons Hotel with my IT manager and met some interesting people in the industry. I had a feeling that most of them were just there for the food and wine provided because there was no presentation on their product at all! There were just 2 speeches introducing the company and then 1 speech on the need for keeping logs. Then we were left to eat and drink with the presentation slides running in the background. Which was really good for me because I really don't enjoy having to sit down and listen to presentations.
We went by invitation by one fellow whom I had totally forgotten about, honestly. He used to work for Verizon (a solution provider) and he had tried to sell me an exchange migration + archiving solution. He quoted us too expensive, so we decided to buy from another vendor in the end. Nevertheless, I thought he is working for LogLogic now but apparently he is not but he knows them. *So what the deal for him?* He introduced us to the VP of LogLogic and we started to discuss J-SOX which is effective from April this year.
I am not sure if any of you know anything about J-SOX, but the criteria for compliance seem not as stringent as SOX and many issues regarding the IT portion are not clearly stated. For example, there is no mention if email archiving is necessary and neither any mention if device logs must be kept. Also, I heard that the Q&A sessions for J-SOX left people with many more questions instead. So we are just guessing here and trying to set our own standards/criteria. This is just so typical of the Japanese. There will never be a clear "YES" or "NO" and neither will there be any clear "RIGHT" or "WRONG". Everything is GREY. *Sigh*
Like the Japanese company that I am working for, there will never be clear directions coming from HQ. There will be mottoes, slogans, targets but there will not be clear instructions on how to go about achieving these targets. I have been swimming in this unknown ocean for more than 6 years now and so far, I am still swimming. I have been given targets and left to find out for myself how to achieve them. Lucky for me, most of the targets have been achieved. Nowadays, I don't even get targets from my bosses anymore. I am left to find targets on my own and achieve them on my own...Is that a good thing?

3 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

Wah! make and find your own targets! You must be so good and trustworthy that your boss trust you to do that.
Congrats.

Unknown said...

Although you should be more motivated, at least intuitively, as the targets are set by you, but I feel that we tend to overextend ourselves when setting targets...

I've just submitted my targets for this year and now am regretting putting certain items that I feel may not be achieved. lol

waitingkitty said...

These days it's harder to maintain my enthusiasm and motiation at work...the departments under me are very much on auto-pilot now. So I am really not needed unless something bad pops up. It's kind of scary that I may have become redundant!