Friday, July 4, 2008

Amazing Babies, Amazing Mums!

It's Friday! This week has been quite easy for me. Coming to work on a Monday, rest-day on Tuesday and then coming back for 3 more days of work is wonderful. But I would like it better if they make it a long weekend instead though. I mean those public holidays falling on a Tuesday or a Thursday should just be pulled back or pushed forward a day to round up to a long weekend so that people can rest better and maybe also plan a short trip out of town. Then a public holiday on a Wednesday shall remain as it is. I think some countries are already doing it like the UK? I remember they did not have a day off on Labour Day which was a Thursday but they had the following Monday off instead making the weekend a 3-day weekend. I think it's brilliant! Oh well, I can only wish but I don't think it will ever happen here in HK or Asia.

Anyway, back to today's theme. I have finished the whole series of Sex and the City the night before yesterday's so last night was back to watching Discovery Channels. Hubby was busy downloading songs into his MP3 player, a freebie from HSBC and I was channel-switching the whole night until I found this documentary about amazing stories of babies delivered in amazing ways and their survivals. It was really intense, 10 minutes through the show, hubby finished off whatever he was doing and joined me. Most of it were showing how some women had gone into unpredictably fast labour whereby they had to deliver their babies at home or in the car on the way to the hospital. I was particularly AMAZED with the story of a woman with her 2nd pregnancy carrying twins who had gone into labour at home and had delivered her twins by herself on the toilet floor before the midwife arrived. Her husband took video of the whole process and her young son was there observing the whole process excitedly. It showed her sitting on the toilet bowl moaning with pain about her strong contractions and then when she could feel the 1st baby's head coming out, she went down to kneel on the floor in front of the toilet bowl and delivered her baby into her hands. Her husband then helped to cut the umbilical cord and carry the baby away. 15 minutes after the 1st baby, she felt that she had to deliver her 2nd baby and so she went on to kneel on the floor again. This time it was more complicated, the baby didn't come out head first but was coming out legs first! Her husband was still filming the process and it showed a little leg dangling out of her vaginal. This kind of delivery would have been difficult even with a doctor around but she was there doing it all by herself! It was really amazing, seeing the 1st leg came out, then the 2nd leg and followed by the body. Finally the head of the baby girl with a dark coloured hair came out. I didn't breathe the whole time and could only mutter a sigh of relief when the whole baby came out. It was truly AMAZING!
"Will I be able to do that?" I asked myself.
"Will you be able to keep your cool given the same situation?" I asked my hubby.
"NO" was the answer to both questions...

No comments: