Thursday, June 12, 2008

Getting the best out of less

June is always a good month for me. 1st of all, I was married in June, so I'll always have my anniversary celebrations and presents in June, and hubby has not failed at getting me presents yet. This year he got me a diamond ring, which was very pretty and it made me really happy because he only bought me chocolates last year...I love chocolates too but they are not forever and I will have nothing to show or to remember of...I didn't even take a photo of the box of chocolates...and I am regretting it now.

Anyway, June is also good because the kids will be having their school holidays and they will be here in Hong Kong with us. This year daughter N is not here, she has to go back to school for her modern dance practices, so she stayed back in Singapore. We miss her but I guess we have to start getting use to the fact that as she grows older, she will be with us lesser...I have to learn to let go...*Sigh*

Gweipo was telling me to give Hong Kong another chance commenting on my previous post where I wrote that I was getting bored with life in Hong Kong. She suggested many thing for me to do around Hong Kong, most of which I am already doing, like joining an association, going to film festivals, going for concerts, go hiking, etc. Honestly, there is nothing here in Hong Kong that Singapore does not have except for the typhoons, black rains, mountains and all sorts of pollution, which we don't really want anyway, do we? How many films and concerts can one go to in a year? How many times will one really go hiking unless one is a hiking fanatic? I am looking for better quality of life in terms of better living space, better air, better traffic, better education system for my children, better hygiene and better security. For all of these, Hong Kong does not measure up to Singapore in any way. Prove me wrong if anyone can.

Nevertheless since D is here and since it's going to be our last year in Hong Kong, we went out and about looking for more interesting sights. Sai Kung is definitely one of the few places I truly like in Hong Kong. The seafood is outrageously displayed in the water tanks outside of the restaurants to attract tourists. Many pet-owners will also bring their dogs for walks along the pier, so it's really a good place for dog-watching. :)

Seafood displayed outside the restaurant that we ate at.

Seafood displayed at another outrageous restaurant.


In Singapore, there's also a famous seafood place at East Coast Seafood Center where tourists and locals will go for the famous chilli crabs, black pepper crabs, drunken prawns, deep-fried dough-sticks with squid paste, steam fish aka Teochew style and lobster sashimi. In terms of the variety seafood and the marketing tactics, I must say Hong Kong is better. But in terms of the style of cooking, I still prefer the Singaporean way of cooking the chilli crabs whereby the sauce is finger-licking good and goes so well with deep-fried buns or baguettes. *Yummy* I seldom compare prices but I think Singapore should be slightly cheaper? But with the exchange rates nowadays, it may be different now.

No comments: