Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Everything happened for a cause?

People rush to rescue students at Juyuan Middle School in Dujiangyan City, about 100 kilometers from the epicenter
(Notice that the building next to the school is still intact?)

I have just returned from a 12-day trip to Europe with hubby and I was going to write about my trip but I really have no heart for that now...
On 12th May, we were flying across China on our return flight from London and approximately at the last 2 hours of our flight, our plane was diverted to Beijing because of the earthquake in Sichuan. So we spent a total of 16 hours on the flight instead of the original scheduled 12 hours. We were lamenting about our plight but didn't realise how devastating the earthquake was until we reached home and watched the news...I feel so sorry now. My heart goes out to those people who have lost their loved ones. I couldn't help crying when I saw the excruciating pain on the faces of mothers mourning for their children killed at the quake. It is too cruel to have so many people killed in so short a time. I can't help but ask why?
During our trip, we were listening to the news about the aftermath of the cyclone which hit Myanmar and how their stupid Generals were refusing international aid for fear of intrusions to their government. Because of the cyclone, Myanmar came into the limelight, everybody criticising their government, everybody concern about their people's plight and some even thinking if it's a good reason now to invade Myanmar, overthrow the government, save lives and reinstate democracy in the country.
Then now news of the earthquake in Sichuan has taken over and all focus has turned to China. Initially China was praised for her swift efforts in mobilising rescue troops to the affected areas, Premier Wen Jiabao arriving at the disastrous scenes just a few hours after the quake and how China allowing the media to broadcast openly, etc. etc....Now when the death toll of schoolchildren rises, China is facing tough questions on why their schools were so shoddily built while apparently nearby buildings were able to withstand the quake. I am really emotionally affected by news, by scenes of crying mothers who have lost their children, I cannot imagine myself in the same situation. I think I will either die too or go insane if I see my own children die...The photo on the papers yesterday(rescuers pulling out a pile of dead children under the debris) had too much impact on me, I can't wipe the image out of my mind. I thank God while I have my meals, I thank God that my children are well taken care of and my eyes will be swelled with tears...
What is the cause of this earthquake? Reviewing to the whole world how corrupted the Chinese government was? How apparently some government officials must have saved themselves some money while building the schools? Will things improve hereafter?

No comments: