Monday, April 28, 2008

The Right Choice

Life is really about making choices everyday, isn't it? From choosing what to wear to work, what to eat for lunch to what career path to choose...
I had a discussion in Kyoto last Friday with my boss, he gave me 2 choices; one is to go back to the sales office in Singapore and be the General Manager of the Administration Department, two is to help him setup a new Logistics Branch and become the Global Head of Logistics. I chose the later... I am not sure if it's the right choice but the truth is, I do not want to be a GM having to report to a boss who is an idiotic salesman having no other skills except the ability to keep a smiling face at his customers no matter how nasty they are. (That's a skill I hope I will never have to master...)
My boss K is happy with my choice, he will then not have to give me up to the other departments and I will still be under his jurisdiction. K introduced me to the company's president S, he agreed to meet me for dinner and had specially arranged for sushi at one of the top hotel in Kyoto. S was physically smaller than how I had expected him to be but his presence is BIG! He has the aura of a very successful and influential man, he has founded a company of more than 3000 staff in Japan and I think nearly more than 20,000 staff worldwide, he is BIG! And I had the utmost honor to have dinner with him and even take a couple of photos with him! I have made history, in the company and in this humble life of mine... Now I have to buy a beautiful photo frame and put up the photo on my desk!

No comments: