Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Working mothers' pain and dilemma

I was reading gweipo's blog post today about how she felt sorry for her young son waiting for her to come back from home at the elevator hallway when she worked unexpectedly late. I wanna tell her, I understand this feeling only too well. 4 years ago when my son was only 5 and my daughter 8, I was very busy at work because of a project. For more than 3 months, I had to work very late and even through the weekends. I left for work early in the morning while they were still sleeping and arrive late when they were already asleep. So I practically didn't get to meet my children but only saw their faces while they were sleeping. Likewise, my children didn't get to meet mommy. One night I arrived home late again even after promising to be home by 10pm earlier over the phone. I walked into my sleeping son's room and tried to give him a peck on his face when he woke up and gave me a blank stare. I told him I was sorry but he said "I hate you, mommy; you lied..." and went back to sleep. My heart cracked and I burst out crying so hard and my eyes got so swollen that I couldn't put on my contact lenses the next morning... I was a single-mother then and I had to work to make ends meet, I had no choice.
Then 3 years ago, I was relocated to Hong Kong for work, my kids didn't come with me because my posting was suppose to be for only 1 year at first and I thought that I should not disrupt their school. I tried to go home every 2 months for the weekends and they come over during their school holidays. After 1 year, my contract was renewed for another 2 years, so I asked if they would like to come over. They both rejected the idea, saying that they would prefer staying in Singapore with their grandmother. Somehow, my children have got used to not always having mommy at home. They have a wonderful grandmother to look after them well and they are very busy with their own lives at school now. I still feel sorry for not being with my children as much as I wish I could but I think it's the quality of time spent with them that is more important. When I do get to spend time with my children, we are either having good dinners or having a holiday trip. We take as many photos as possible and I try to document them in my blogs.



I got married 2 years ago to a wonderful man, he loves my children as his own and they love him too. On our wedding day, my children walked me down the aisle, handed me to their step-father and gave their blessings. It was definitely one of the happiest day of my life! (The other happiest days of my life I can remember so far was when I gave birth to my daughter and then when I had my son.) Hubby and I have plans to relocate ourselves back to Singapore in at most 2 years' time to be with the children and maybe have a 3rd one too. I will still have a career but maybe this time, I will try to spend more time enjoying my child's growth as much as I can. Children grow up so fast...

No comments: