Monday, March 16, 2009

To be or not to be?

You can paint on him for free...will you do it?

Came upon this guy on the main street of Mongkok many weeks ago but had forgotten about him until I did some housekeeping on my handphone today. I had taken a photo of him with my handphone when I spotted him. He was there at the street where it's closed to cars at night and was asking passerbys to paint on him. He even provided the paint and will not move an inch when you are drawing on him. He will even shake your hand and thank you after that. Many people were watching him and some really went up to paint on him. I thought that was quite interesting. I am not sure what was his purpose or motive but I guess he might have been training for something. Maybe he was a student at a performance art school or something and that was a training for him to get rid of stage fright or shyness? Or he was trying to get enlightened from this experience?

What would you think about such an act? It wasn't a street performance asking for money, he was just there to let you paint on him. His t-shirt, jeans, arms and face were all covered with paint from the passerbys who did bother to paint on him. A T-shirt shaped banner behind him had this "To be or not to be? That's the question." So what did it mean? I will be interested to know... To me, I think it means not to take life so seriously, just enjoy every waking hour and be happy and try to bring joy to everybody around you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would think that no one would bat an eyelid if that's in London. Haha, though I imagine people will be splashing paint all over the poor chap if given half a chance.

C K