Thursday, March 5, 2009

Closure

It's been a very intense week for me since last Thursday. First, it was a meeting with 2 staff from a company that my company had bought over on Thursday morning. They will be officially laid off by the end of March and my department is going to take over their jobs. Can you imagine the awkwardness in the meeting room? Then we have an office removal scheduled on Friday and Saturday in Shenzhen.
The meeting with the 2 staff went fairly well, they have already been told about the layoff and their responsibilities in assisting us for a successful transition. I am not expecting much trouble but my MD is concern about their stock status. He is determined not to takeover any dead stock but wants them to write off from their books before the transfer.

The office removal in Shenzhen went rather smoothly until Saturday when one female Admin Asst. Manager went hysterical and started to scold one of my staff over a very small issue. The worst thing was, when I tried to step in to stop her, another female Admin Manager joined in and started arguing their case by shouting louder and diverting my point with more nonsense in Chinese. Then when their Japanese male boss stepped in, they started crying as if we were the ones bullying them. I was absolutely stunned by the hysteria and could not react very well. I am not good at fights, not especially in Chinese and I am definitely not used to tears in the office. It was all too unprofessional to me.

It was really upsetting to my whole department who are largely from Hong Kong and who are not used to the mainland Chinese way of working. I myself was also upset about the whole incident for a few days. The Japanese boss apologised to me for the incident and told me that the 2 female are feeling remorseful for what they have done. I am not so sure if it's true but have decided to close the case. I need to concentrate on more important things in my life like my final assignment for the Marketing Management subject that I am studying and also to prepare for the final exams next week. So this post is offical closure... *smile*

No comments: