Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekend Update ~ Typhoon Nuri, Get Smart and the Olympics Closing Ceremony

Had a long weekend thanks to Typhoon Nuri which hit Hong Kong directly on Friday. The Observatory issued signal 8 from 7:40am, and then a signal 9 in the late afternoon. It was rather scary actually when the rain and the wind came slapping my window and I felt my flat moved! A wave of nausea swept over me as I was studying by the window and I had to lie down. Many damage buildings and fallen trees were reported and a man went missing at sea. He had gone surfing with his wife despite the warnings and was taken away by the enormous waves. The wife was fine...And the most interesting part was that the wife didn't stop him from doing such a stupidly dangerous thing! What were the both of them thinking? I would definitely have stopped my hubby! Not unless I want him to die...

Saturday was a beautiful day. The typhoon had washed away all the pollutants and the sky became exceptionally blue. The air was fresh too! I wish I had a car to drive to the suburbs...it would have been such a fine day for a long drive out of the city. We went for a movie instead at the Grand Cinema @Elements again. This time we watched Get Smart, totally a no-brain comedy which was just the kind of entertainment I needed. Oh yah, we found out that all the seats at the Grand Cinema are vibrating seats! I guess we won't be watching movies anywhere else from now.

The Beijing Olympics is finally over and the closing ceremony was rather disappointing. David Beckham was part of the cast from London but all he did was just came out from the top of a double-decker bus and kicked a soccer ball which was handed to him by a young Indian-looking girl. Then an excited Chinese worker from the ground rushed to picked up the ball and hugged on to it for dear life. *Roll my eyes*

After 16 days of hype and excitement about the Beijing Olympics, it has come to an end and I really wonder what has China gained from organising this game? 51 gold medals, their best game ever but is China a better place now? Do I want to stay in China? The answer from me is still NO. 40 billion dollars have been spent just for this Olympics Games and I personally think that it is not the way to show China's affluence and power to the world. I may be wrong but so much more could have been done with that money for the massive rural poor people in China. Why are we donating to China when she has that kind of money to spend on the Olympics Games? If China wants to show its affluence and power to the world, she should concentrate to raise the standard of living for all its citizens.

Looking forward to London 2012!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the benefits that China reap from hosting the Games are intangible. The Chinese have always place face as the top priority. To them, by holding large scale performances and setting off huge amount of fireworks, they have succeeded in impressing the world.

Come to think of it, it's not unlike the era of emperors when similar huge scale events were held for foreign envoys.

On the same note, unlike many countries (UK included), human rights issues are not exactly at the top of China's list.

waitingkitty said...

They may have succeeded in impressing those people who are not thinking beyond the surface of things. I am definitely not impressed. When China do not need foreign donations to their rural poor, then I will be impressed. And when I can access to any foreign websites when I am in China, I will be impressed.

Unknown said...

There's a now a big hoohah in London about Boris' appearance during the handover ceremony in Beijing. Even Britons are lambasting him for his lacklustre performance...

Regardless of the Chinese' human rights record, they did up the benchmark for future Games.

However, it doesn't sound right when they are receiving aid for their poor (are they still?) while splashing cash around in the Games.

waitingkitty said...

Yes CK, China is still receiving aids for their rural poor. There are many charity organisations here in HK raising funds for China. How about Chinese children put up for foreign adoption? I am sure you have heard of it? We don't see Singaporean, British or American children put up for overseas' adoption, do we? That's why I am so disgusted with the Chinese for plurging money on such a sports game just to win FACE. *pui*