Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Siblings Love

I am watching another TVB major drama "家好月圓" every night from 9:30pm to 10:30pm. The story is about the struggles of a family with 6 children being separated into half due a heartless divorce settlement. As with all dramas, the mother is the good one while the father is the bad one who has an affair with another woman and thus caused the divorce. The father and the other woman got custody of 3 children (all boys) while the mother got custody of the other 3 children (2 girls and 1 boy). The drama made me cry from the very 1st episode when they showed how the 3 children were being pulled away from their mother and forced to leave with their father and the other woman. The subsequent episodes mainly showed the lives of the grown up siblings with their mother at their humble cake shop and home. It showed how the 3 children were very well brought up in the sense that they really cared for each other, also their mum and grandfather. The children with the father and the other woman were brought up well-educated but also very aloof.

I do not have siblings, I am the only child and I really do not understand the love and relationship between siblings until I have my 2 children. And I remember having posted this blog about Siblings Love in December 2007 :

"The children are now with me in Hong Kong and my mum has gone for a 4 days tour, so they are here by themselves in the day while I worked. I went home during lunch time to check on them yesterday around 1pm. They were awoke and N had just made some food and drink for D and herself. It was such a warm sight, the big sister bringing out a tray of instant mash potato and milo for her younger brother while she had another tray of instant pasta and coffee latte herself. They settled themselves on the carpet infront of the TV and enjoyed their brunch while watching TV. I was so envious of them, I never had such lovely companionship when I was young...that's the problem for being the only child...so lonely.

I made myself some instant noodles and settled down together to eat with them, didn't want to go back to work at all...but I had to :(

Hubby and I brought them to Langham Place Hotel to have buffet for dinner after work, the kids love buffets because they can get to pick and choose whatever they want to eat and also because they get to roam around. Again they were exploring around the buffet counters together, keeping each other company and boosting each other's confidence in the process. I am happy that I had made the right choice to keep D eventhough I knew that my previous marriage was not going to work out.

We had some interesting and meaningful conversation over dinner; N telling us her crush, her friends' crushes and gossips. We telling her when is the right time or rather legal time to do "the thing" and what is "the thing" all about and so on. We try not to make such a big fuss over it so that she will be more open with us and receptive to our advice. Hubby was telling her what the boys will be thinking and what they will do to get it from her and so on and so forth. She was telling me that she likes this boy very much and how it hurts when he tried to avoid her in school and then how sweet the feeling was when he finally told her that he likes her too...yes, my daughter in in that age already...I can't believe it myself but I have to face it. She still looked so babyish just a couple of years ago!

D is still a baby, still crying over little things easily...sigh...how to teach him that boys shouldn't cry? Should I be harsher on him? I tried but I couldn't because he's not always with me and when he's with me, I want him to get as much love from me as possible but not scolding. I just want hug and kiss my boy as much as possible. I am a hopeless mum..."

The children are growing up so fast...I am so afraid that I have no time to catch up with them before they becomes strangers to me. I just hope that this last year in Hong Kong will not be too long for everybody to wait...

4 comments:

Shanewei said...

one of my friend has 2 kids too and she told me that the interaction between the two kids are very interesting and she likes to observe them quietly. kids are really amazing but before you know it, they have spread their wings and fly away from the cozy nest.

Unknown said...

I understand how lonely it can be being the only child. I was one for 10 years. I remember playing with imaginary friends. I actually played a four player Monopoly alone once!

waitingkitty said...

Hi shanewei! Thanks for dropping by. Yeah, kids grow up so fast! My daughter is having crushes already...

waitingkitty said...

Hey CK!
I have been having problems going into your blog...what happened? It said only invited readers...can I be invited?
By the way, I always play with imaginery friends. I have an imaginery twin sister...:D