Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Chasing Dreams


Went to my ex-secondary school friend's first book launch on last week at the National Library. Am so happy for her having her dream comes true although I didn't know that writing children's books was her passion...She has always been the brainy one among my old school friends, having been awarded an EDB Scholarship to study Chemistry at Imperial College London and attaining a PhD as well. She has been staying in the UK with her husband and 3 girls until about 3 years ago when her husband found a job in Singapore. She has been more or less a housewife since the birth of their 3rd child as it is not easy to get domestic helper in the UK. So she has time to pursue her dreams now that even her youngest child is away at school most of the day now. 

"The Magic Mixer" won her the rights to publish with the Strait Times Press. It was one of the five winning entries for Beyond Words 2011, an initiative by National Arts Council to encourage high quality literature. I am not sure how many entries were there but I am impressed that she won and she will receive royalty with every sale of her book. Although we all know that books don't sell very well in Singapore as Singaporeans are not that into books as compared to other nationals.

Anyway, this event set me thinking..."What is my dream and how can I pursue it?". Hmm...

No comments: