Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Market Value

I am checking out my market value recently in the job market. I am looking for an opportunity to change my present job. I have setup an Linkin account, wrote my CV and even sent out a few applications. Till date, only one company came back asking me if I am interested to have an interview with the hiring managers if they can at best match my present remuneration. "Hell YES!" I am desperate for a change of job! I am totally sick of my job! I want a change! Or do I? The problem with change is that there are so many uncertainties and so many risks involved. Can I afford to lose my present income? Am I up for new challenges that will take away more family time, more brain cells, more hair and give me back more wrinkles and blurry eyes instead? I really cannot give an affirmative answer...

'You've got to find what you love,' Jobs says

Actually what I love to do most is to be with my baby J, play with him, teach him new tricks, snuggle up beside him and sleep with him. If I can do that everyday, that will be just wonderful! But then, I want to have a fulfilling job as well, one that not only pays well but also let me have a sense of accomplishment and also expose me to new challenges and let me acquire new knowledge/skills, etc. Sadly, my present job doesn't do that for me any more. It pays me quite well but I do not learn much from the job, I have already progressed much ahead of it, or so I think. Anyway, I went to see a recruitment consultant and she said that to be honest, many employers do not like to see candidates with more than 10 years in a company because they tend to think that these candidates will not be easily adaptable and do not have enough exposure and experience to bring to their companies, which I agree totally. My company is not using SAP or Oracle or any of the common WMS that most companies are using, we developed an ERP system in-house, we are unique, we do not outsource as well...so the skills that I acquired here will not apply to other companies out there! And the longer I stay here, my market value will depreciate further!

No comments: