Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dilemma of a mother

With my baby growing up so fast and me being stuck in a job with no prospects and job satisfaction, I am in a dilemma  again as to whether I should go out and look for another job with better prospects and pay or should I just stay put and try to spend more time with my baby... It's never easy being a mother, especially a working mother. I admire so many of my friends who have the same educational background as me or even higher and yet they chose to stay home after becoming a mother. Honestly, I have never been a good mother in that sense, I have not stayed home for both my elder children and left all the mothering duties to my mother who has been a homemaker most of her life. A small part of me regrets not spending enough time with both of them but I know that I can never be the stay-at-home mum. And I am not that type of mother who is overly concern about my children's academic results. I just want them to grow up healthy and do whatever their interests lead them. Thank God that even though I have not always been there for both of them, they both grow up relatively well.

Ever since I became mother again to baby J, I have been contemplating about the option of staying at home more and taking care of baby J by myself. My mum is getting too old to take care of another grand kid full time, my MIL is helping me take care of J but she is not entirely happy doing it as she is also not the homely type. She wants to run her own business, so she has been urging me to send J to the childcare. And so I started looking around for a good childcare for J but most of the childcare centers around my place is full! I have to put J on the wait list! And I thought the government says that we are not having enough babies? They are not providing enough childcare centers! Anyway, after web-shopping around for preschool/childcare for J, I realized that some of the prestigious ones can cost up to $18,000/year! That's as expensive as going to University! I wonder what they teach the children? How are they different from the others?

No comments: